Photonics

0
Share.

Photonics is one of the fastest growing key technologies of this century. Its importance for industry, medicine and research which cannot be overestimated. This is also attested to by the two most important industry-related photonics organizations in Switzerland, Swissmem (Photonics Division) and Swissphotonics. On the initiative of Swissmem, Photonics was consequently included as a new study profile in the restructured Master of Science in Engineering (MSE).

The ability to control light and use it productively has for a long time and with constantly growing importance worldwide shaped industrial production, the world of work and our everyday life.

Technology with a hughe potentioal

Already today, lidar systems are revolutionizing the mobility of the future, NIR measurement technology is optimizing the agricultural and food industry, and microscopy and spectroscopy form the basis of modern medical diagnostics – for example, highly sensitive laser detection systems are under discussion to detect the coronavirus in minutes. Lasers process every conceivable material highly efficiently, glass fiber technology forms the basis of modern data communication and even Industry 4.0 and IoT or quantum computers are based on photonic technologies.

People with the appropriate training are therefore in demand as skilled workers. The Swiss educational landscape takes this fact into account by creating the “Photonics” profile as part of the MSE on the initiative of Swissmem.

Interesting carrer perspective

Graduates of the course know and understand photonic key components, light-based processes and measurement methods. They use and combine them for novel applications, know how to design photonic systems and how to combine them with electrical and mechanical systems. Photonics engineers research novel technologies and can evaluate the feasibility and market significance of new photonic systems. They are also interdisciplinary all-rounders.

You are predestined for leading positions with management responsibility in the areas of research and development, intelligent manufacturing, industrial process and quality control as well as automation and digital factories (Industry 4.0), with some years of industry experience also for product management, technical sales, business development and general management.

Diversity of study profiles

Thanks to the close cooperation between the technical departments of all the universities of applied sciences in Switzerland, Master’s students have access to an impressively wide range of subjects:

  • Modern laser-based precision manufacturing
  • Optical metrology and image processing
  • Optoelectronics and electro-optics
  • Design and modeling of photonic systems
  • Micro-Technologies

Study Organisation

The theoretical modules, which make up about 30% of the course, are taught in English centrally in Zurich (near the station). The remaining approximately 70% of the course, namely the practically oriented project work and the Master’s thesis, are carried out locally at the individual universities of applied sciences.

Further Informations

The MSE website offers an overview with detailed information on the subject areas, the required entry qualifications and further links to the universities of applied sciences. Applications for the start in the autumn semester 2020 are already underway and can be submitted via the respective website of the chosen university of applied sciences.

Original German text available here.

Share.

Comments are closed.